A glutenous, egg containing version of these yummy treats.
Homemade Oat Bars
Makes 16 Bars
In a large bowl, mix the following dry ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins*
In a smaller bowl, mix the following wet ingredients:
1/4 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup applesauce**
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Generously grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
4. Make a well in the center and pour in the wet mixture.
5. Mix well using a fork or your hands.
6. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once for even baking, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges.
8. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
*other options include dried cranberries, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, coconut, nuts, M&Ms
**any pureed fruit or veggie will work here! Peaches, bananas, sweet potato, pumpkin, even leftover baby food!
Flavor combos I’ve used:
1/2 cup pumpkin, 1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pureed banana, 1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup applesauce, 1 cup raisins, 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
LACTATION BARS, add 1/4 cup gluten free brewer’s yeast to the dry ingredients and any add ins you want.