Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread (Gluten Free, Egg Free)
1 cup quick cooking oats (gluten free, if needed)
1 1/2 cups water
1 3/4 cup gluten free flour (I use 1 part Sorghum flour, 1 part Tapioca starch, 1/3 part Millet flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp cinnamon
8 tbs (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar*
1 1/2 tsp baking soda**
4 1/2 tsp egg replacer + 6 TB warm water (or 3 whole eggs)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F
2. Grease muffin pan.
3. Place oats and water in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. Set aside.
4. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and cinnamon in small bowl and mix well.
5. Place softened butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer at high speed until creamy.
6. Gradually add brown sugar to butter, beating constantly until well blended.
7. In another small bowl, add baking soda, egg replacer and warm water. Mix with a fork or whisk until frothy.
8. Add egg replacer mixture and vanilla extract to creamed mixture and mix well.
9. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
11. Stir in oat mixture.
12. Spoon batter into prepared bread pan. (1/3 cup each works well)
13. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into loaf comes out clean. Rotate pan after 20 minutes if your oven has hot spots.
14. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, you can store these in the fridge for a few days or put in individual bags and then freeze in a bigger bag.
*The original recipe calls for 1 cup brown sugar AND 1 cup regular sugar. I was trying to cut the sugar back a little and I have made it both ways. Either way works! With the added sugar, though, you do get a nice, crusty coating on the top and the sides. Yum!
**Egg containing version- omit the water in the egg replacer mixture and reduce the baking soda to 1 tsp. Add the baking soda with the dry ingredients. Beat eggs into creamed mixture one at a time until well incorporated before adding dry ingredients.