So, if you’ve been reading for the last two weeks, you know that I’ve been trying to really hone in on my diet and cut out a lot of extras and stick to a diet rich in more whole foods and less processed stuff. This has also meant me going gluten free…which is getting better, but makes going to places like Chick fil A totally not fun anymore!
Even though I’ve cut out sweets for the most part, every once in a while I want something that feels bad, but is totally good for me. Let me introduce you to Banana Pumpkin “Ice Cream.” You may have even seen appliances that you can buy to turn your bananas into a frozen, ice cream-like treat. My sister showed me how to make this type of thing over the summer and back then I thought it was “cute” that she was making all of these sacrifices for her nursing infant but really didn’t think I would ever need it. Well, I didn’t even THINK about the fact that it would be a great thing to experiment with and then share with you all!
I’ve been trying to incorporate more veggies in my diet (which I’ll post on later) and this is a great way to sneak veggies into dessert, too!
Banana Pumpkin “Ice Cream”
1 medium banana
1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin (not the sweetened kind)
1/4 cup coconut milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp stevia granules (like Truvia) (OR a drizzle of honey or maple syrup!)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, mash together the banana and pumpkin.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Freeze for 30 minutes.
4. Stir, and return to freezer for an additional 30 minutes.
5. Depending on your freezer, you can check the consistency and either serve it or freeze for longer. It doesn’t really “melt”, it just gets mushy.
6. Top with anything! I added almonds, but I’m not allergic. You can add caramel…nuts…chocolate chips…whatever you’re NOT allergic to!