As promised, here is the first review and giveaway for birthday celebration week! I had to wait until we had lazy days for breakfast so I could take pictures and make everything look purty…something that would never happen on a preschool day!
I was given the chance to review some of the products from Van’s Natural Foods. As you know, I have seen some great deals on these in the past and we are already huge fans. It was fun, though, to take on the perspective of specifically sharing our findings with my readers.
Van’s has a wide variety of products, including their new Waffle Sticks and Muffin Crowns. My favorite thing about Van’s, though, is that they have a line of gluten free, wheat free, dairy free and egg free. They do list soy as an ingredient, so if that is an issue for you, take note. They are not labeled peanut free or tree nut free, but according to their website:
Van’s waffles, French toast sticks, and pancakes are produced on production lines that do not make any products containing peanuts or tree nuts. Peanuts and tree nuts, however, are not banned from the facilities and may be found in vending machines, employee lunches, etc.
So, let’s get to the nitty gritty!
We were given the chance to try 2 products, so I chose the Blueberry Waffles (gluten, wheat, egg and dairy free) as well as the Cinnamon French Toast Sticks (gluten, wheat, egg and dairy free.) Because we are egg, peanut and tree nut free, it is really hard to find good sources of protein at breakfast. I’ll show you how we used toppings on our Van’s pastries to pump up the protein!
OK, so this particular picture is not the best example…this was MY plate. My kids ate theirs with Sunbutter smeared on top and I don’t think there was a crumb left. These are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside…everything a waffle should be! They are pretty close to the other kind of waffles that you just don’t want to let go…if you know what I mean! The plus side of these is that everyone in the family can enjoy them, regardless of food allergies or not.
Here is my Cinnamon French Toast Triptych…
Now, I know you’re saying “There’s no way those can be as good as REAL French toast!”
And you would be right.
There’s no way that you can replicate that custardy, fried goodness that comes with bread dipped in egg and milk and sizzled on a skillet ’til crispy perfection is achieved.
BUT (and this is a big but!) these are an excellent substitute. They are toasty on the outside and firm in the middle. They also have just the right amount of cinnamon goodness throughout. You can see from the pics that we enjoyed them in a wide variety of ways!
Want more ideas for topping Van’s Waffles and French Toast Sticks? You could top them with cottage cheese, kefir, fruit syrup, honey, sorbet or ice cream, fried egg with ham and cheese, apples and cheese…the list goes on and on!
You want me to stop rambling now. You want to know about the GIVEAWAY! So here goes:
I have coupons for FREE Van’s products! There will be 2 winners in this particular giveaway. One reader will receive 3 coupons and the other will receive 2 coupons. I will choose the winners using Random.org and the contest will be open until Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. EST. The winners will be announced sometime on Thursday, September 15 and the coupons will be mailed out shortly after. GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED
Here are the ways you can enter:
- Mandatory entry: Go visit the Van’s site and take a look around. Come back and leave a comment on THIS post, telling me what Van’s product you would try and what you would top it with. Be creative! Please leave your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win!
- “Like” Van’s on Facebook and leave me a comment saying that you did. Please leave your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win!
- “Like” Allergic to Air on Facebook and leave me a comment saying that you did. Please leave your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win!.
- Follow Allergic to Air on Twitter and leave me a comment saying that you did. Please leave your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win!.
- Share this post using the moving “Share” button on the top, right hand corner of this post and leave me a comment saying that you did. Please leave your email address with your comment so that I can contact you if you win!
To do this review, I was given coupons for 2 free boxes of Van’s Waffles and French Toast Sticks. I was not compensated for my time and the opinions expressed here are totally mine…and my kids’!