Clare’s Gluten-Free Egg-Free Brownies

I was commissioned to make some brownies for my 4 year old’s preschool Valentine’s Day Party.  I have my handful of sites that I go to when I’m on a hunt for a recipe and Karina Allrich’s site, Gluten Free Goddess, is no exception.  In fact, I’ve been using her recipes since we first went wheat free/gluten free with our son over 3 years ago.  I knew this was one of the first places I would turn to find a great brownie recipe!

Clare’s Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Brownies

Clare’s Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Brownies
adapted from Clare’s Gluten-Free Brownies from Gluten Free Goddess

3/4 cup gluten free flour (I used a 1 part sorghum-1 part tapioca-1/3 part millet blend)
1 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
2 TB ground chia
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
6 TB warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×8 baking pan.
2.  In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, including the ground chia.  I always have a hard time incorporating it when it’s in gelatinous form, and this seems to work better for this recipe.
3.  Add melted butter, water and vanilla and stir until combined.
4.  Add mixture to baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
5.  Cool and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

I have to admit, my 4 year old did NOT like these.  It has something to do with the fact that he’s never had a brownie before in his life and I don’t think he liked the texture.  Back to the drawing board for a Valentine’s Party snack, but the recipe is definitely a keeper!  My parents were in town and no one complained that they were free of some many “civilian” ingredients!  My dad may or may not have gone back for more…just sayin’!

Copious thanks go out to Karina for being so gracious with help on this post!

As with all recipes, please make sure that the ingredients you use are safe for your particular food allergy.

This entry was posted in Bread/Baked Goods, Desserts, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Clare’s Gluten-Free Egg-Free Brownies

1. Robyn says:

I don’t always have chia seeds on-hand. Do you think flax seed meal would work in it’s place?

• Jessica says:

I think they should work, Robyn. I would grind them first, if they aren’t already. I have a coffee grinder dedicated to chia and flax and it works great. I think the biggest difference between the two, in my opinion, is not so much in function as it is in flavor.

2. Sandra says:

Is there a substitute for the butter? I’m new at all the allergies/sensitivities etc and dairy is one of mine too. Chocolate is one too, but I have to make an occasional exception!! Love following your blog and recipes!

• Jessica says:

Thanks, Sandra! Though I’ve not tried these, some common subs are Earth Balance spread (which you can get soy-free if you needed to), Spectrum Organic Shortening, pretty much any kind of oil (I say this because boxed brownie recipes call for oil). I would think coconut oil would be amazing if you tolerate it. I think that might be my next sub!

3. Christina says:

I’m glad you included chía… My daughter is very allergic to flax, immediate red splotches on her cheeks and hives on her neck (though she’s not sensitive to just straight flax oil)…

Anyhow chia presents no allergic symptoms whatsoever (to her) and is LOADED with Omega 3 (more than fish and flax) plus is very cheap here in Mexico (about $4 for 1/2 kilo)

• Jessica says:

We are big fans of chia and use both that and flax. I like the fact that you don’t have to grind the chia to get your body to use it properly, unlike flax and that it doesn’t contain the phytoestrogens like flax. Do know, though, that Omega 3s are only good in both chia and flax when you consume them in a raw state. Once you heat them for baking they lose that. But they are still good sources of fiber and other nutrients!

I wonder if your daughter’s flax issues are not evident with the oil because it’s the fat and not the protein, like the seeds? I know that’s true for *some* people with peanut allergies. They can’t do the nut in whole form but have no reaction to highly refined peanut oils used in frying.

4. melissa says:

How do you “powder” the chia seeds?

• Jessica says:

Melissa, I just buzz them in my coffee grinder. It’s one I have set aside for chia and flax seeds. I wouldn’t do it with your regular coffee grinder, though! It’s hard to get all of that powder out! I hope that helps!

5. Pingback: Gluten Free Egg Free Chocolate Doughnuts | Allergic To Air

6. Clare says:

Hi Jessica, As the original Clare who sent this brownie recipe to Karina, I am tickled to see that it has taken on a life of its’ own and so many people have been able to adapt it to their needs and enjoy it. The very original recipe came from “Boston Kitchen”, a radio show that my mother listened to when I was a child many decades ago.