You’d think after all of the chili I consumed at our church’s Super Bowl Chili Cook-off over the weekend I would not every want to see a bowl of chili again. WRONG. For some reason, visions of new chili recipes have been dancing in my head for several days.
One of my favorite chilis that I always loved but can no longer order is from that bakery/cafe that sells insanely good bagels and your blood sugar spikes just for getting a good whiff of all the carbs in the place. Turkey chili with chickpeas. Yum. My kids like both, so I thought I’d give it a whirl and see what I could come up with. And the results…well…they are DE-LISH! I love the combination of roasted garlic and tomatoes, creamy cannellini beans and firm chickpeas. And topped with a little Cabot smooth sharp cheddar? I was in heaven!
This would be so cute in a heart shaped bowl for Valentine’s Day, but really…serving chili to your sweetie? Definitely not romantic LATER!
1-1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
4-6 cloves of roasted garlic (use 4 if using raw garlic)
2-14.5 ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes
2 small cans or 4 cups of cannellini (white kidney) beans (can sizes range from 14.5-15.5 ounces), drained and rinsed
2 small cans or 4 cups of chick peas (can sizes range from 14.5-15.5 ounces), drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp black pepper
Garnish suggestions: smooth white cheddar, sour cream
1. In a large stock pot on medium heat, cook ground turkey until most of the pink is gone.
2. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.
3. In a food processor, blender or large bowl with an immersion blender, pulse tomatoes and roasted garlic a few times. You don’t want them completely pureed, but just a little finer than how they are diced straight from the can.
4. Add spices to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, beans and chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce to simmer, about 20 minutes or until some of the liquid has cooked off.
7. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
As always, please make sure that all ingredients are safe for your food allergy needs.